This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions on how to install an HP LaserJet P1102 printer on Linux Ubuntu Zorin. The process involves disabling certain features, installing necessary packages, and configuring the printer for proper functionality.
Before proceeding with the installation, make sure you have the following:
- An HP LaserJet P1102 printer
- A computer running Linux Ubuntu Zorin
- Internet access
Step 1: Disable the fake CD-ROM feature
- Connect the HP LaserJet P1102 printer to a Windows PC.
- Insert the original driver CD that came with the printer.
- On the CD, locate the “SIUtility.exe” or “SIUtility64.exe” file in the “UTIL” folder.
- Run the “SIUtility.exe” or “SIUtility64.exe” file to disable the “HP Smart Install” feature.
This step is necessary to ensure proper functionality on a non-Windows PC.
Step 2: Install CUPS and Foomatic-Filters
- Open a terminal on your Linux Ubuntu Zorin system.
- Update your package repository by running the following command:
sudo apt update
- Install the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) by running the following command:
sudo apt install cups
- During the installation, you will be prompted to enter your password. Provide the password and proceed with the installation.
- After the installation completes, add CUPS to the system startup by editing the “rc.conf” file:
sudo nano /etc/rc.conf
- In the “rc.conf” file, add the following line:
Save the file and exit the text editor.
- Start the CUPS service by running the following command:
sudo systemctl start cups
CUPS is now installed and running on your system.
- Install Foomatic Filters by running the following command:
sudo apt install foomatic-filters
Step 3: Install foo2zjs
- Download the foo2zjs driver package by running the following commands:
- Extract the downloaded package by running the following command:
tar -xvf foo2zjs.tar.gz
- Navigate to the extracted directory by running the following command:
- Compile and install the driver by running the following commands:
sudo make install
sudo make install-hotplug
- Restart the CUPS service for the changes to take effect:
sudo systemctl restart cups
Step 4: Configure the printer
- Connect your HP LaserJet P1102 printer to your Linux Ubuntu Zorin system.
- Open a web browser and go to “http://localhost:631” to access the CUPS web interface.
- Click on the “Administration” tab, then click “Add Printer.”
- The printer should be automatically detected. Select it from the list.
- Choose “/dev/ulpt0” as the URI for the printer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer setup.
- Once the setup is complete, you should be able to print a test page to verify that the printer is working correctly.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed and configured the HP LaserJet P1102 printer on your Linux Ubuntu Zorin system. You can now start using the printer for all your printing needs.